This season each family will be required to fulfill six (6) points’ worth of volunteer shifts.
When registration opens in April, you will be able to register your swimmers and then sign up for your volunteer shifts online. If you have a strong preference for specific dates or shifts, it is recommended that you complete registration and choose your volunteer shifts as soon as registration opens on Sunday. Once you start registration, you must complete the process and pay within fifteen minutes, or you will timeout and lose the volunteer shifts that you had chosen. You cannot complete your registration without picking six points’ worth of volunteer points. Regular season shifts are worth one point each; prelims/championships shifts are worth two points each. Each family may do only one Fun Meet shift. These are designated on the website as you choose them. Shift times and basic descriptions of jobs are listed at the end of this section.
Please note the following:
- We must “hold” your credit card on file, but we will not charge it unless you miss a shift.
- If you miss a shift, we are obligated to charge a $400 fee to your credit card on file.
- You can choose to “opt out” of volunteer shifts by paying $400 when you check out of registration.
- You can sign up for only one shift during the Fun Meet.
- If you sign up for the last shift of a meet (Shift 3 for regular season, Shift 3 or 4 for prelims and championships), you must stay until the end of the meet, even if that is past what your volunteer shift states (2:30 p.m. or 4:30 p.m.).
- There is only one Alternate shift per meet. If you sign up for this shift, you must be available for the entirety of the meet. We will use you only for the approximate length of one shift (~2.5 hours), and we will let you know the week of the meet where and when we need you. But we have no idea if that will be early Saturday morning, during the meet, or for cleanup, so you must be open and available for anything if you choose to sign up for an Alternate shift.
- If the only swimmer you have is a Mudskipper, you are not required to sign up for shifts during registration. If we have needs throughout the season, we may call on you to help fill in, and this can be a terrific way to get a feel for how volunteer points and shifts work and meet other parents.
- If you don’t want to worry about individual volunteer shifts and would rather have more control, management, and input for our swim team, please consider a board position or an exempt position. You can talk to any board member for more information on different positions and what might be available.
- Friday night setup: 7:45 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday morning meet and concessions setup: 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Shift 1: 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Shift 2: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Shift 3: 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. or the end of the meet
- Post-meet cleanup: 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Please note that prelims/championships have a fourth shift from 2:00 p.m. to the end of the meet.
Social events have shift times that vary and are listed on the website.
Friday Night Setup: This volunteer (with others) sets up the pool the night before a home meet. Responsibilities include setting up the pool deck by moving furniture, setting up flags and ropes, and setting up tents/canopies. This job requires awkward and heavy lifting!
Saturday AM Meet and Concessions Setup: This volunteer (with others) makes sure everything is set up and ready to go for a home meet. Responsibilities include putting up tents/canopies and flags/ropes, filling water jugs, making coffee, and setting up the concessions tables.
Upkeep Shift (formerly called the Cleanup Shift): This volunteer walks around during a home meet to make sure that trash cans are emptied and bathrooms are clean and stocked. This volunteer also distributes water and snacks to all coaches and deck volunteers.
Post-Meet Cleanup: This volunteer (with others) cleans up the deck area, empties trash cans, and checks bathrooms. When the meet is finished, this volunteer (with others) puts away all materials from the meet, including tents/canopies, and moves all furniture back to original locations.
Concessions Shift: This volunteer (with others) sells items, assists customers, restocks products as necessary, cleans up the concessions tables, puts items away, and sometimes mans the grill. The early concessions food pickup volunteer picks up any concession items necessary, such as burritos, bagels, doughnuts, etc., from various vendors before the meet.
Concessions Runner Shift: During the meet we might run out of change, ice, or another needed supply, and at times we will need food picked up from a vendor. This person will have to make no more than one short trip to pick up whatever items needed. When not making a run, this volunteer will help at the concessions table.
Heating/Clerk of Course Helper Shift: This volunteer (with others) helps to organize the swimmers in the heating area.
Deck Runner Shift: This volunteer collects time sheets and DQ slips and delivers them to the scoring area.
Scoring Shift: This volunteer works with the official scorers at the scoring table to enter results, process DQs, and post results.
Timing Shift: This volunteer times all swimmers in one lane for the shift. If you sign up for a timing shift at a prelim or championship meet, you must have already timed in a regular-season meet.
Backup Timing Shift: This volunteer holds a backup stopwatch so that if any timers have a problem, this volunteer can accurately time the race for that lane. If you sign up for a timing shift at a prelim or championship meet, you must have already timed in a regular-season meet.
Heat Winner Shift: This volunteer will give to the winner of each heat a ticket, which can then be redeemed at the concession stand for a prize.
Alternate Shift: This position is utilized to fill any needs we might have in any area surrounding a meet. If you sign up for an Alternate shift, you will work only a single shift for that meet, but you must be available from 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. until we know when and where you will be needed. The volunteer coordinator will notify you the week of the meet to tell you when and where you will be placed. We may also have a “Day Of” Alternate shift, and we won’t know until the last minute where we will put you on that day.
Merchandise Shift: This volunteer will man the merchandise table, selling items as needed, and pack up the merchandise at the end of the meet. This volunteer will then put the merchandise bins away where required.
Championship Signs Shift: We provide the signs, and these volunteers will fill out the names of the athletes who qualified for finals for a specific prelim/age group. The volunteers will find their addresses and tape them onto the doors/houses of the athletes. This should be done by the next day at 4:00 p.m.
Social Events (Team Lunch, Swimming Under the Stars, Banquet) Shift: This volunteer (with others) helps to set up the cabana area, put up decorations if necessary, fill drinks, set up and/or serve food, run games if necessary, empty trash cans, and clean up the cabana area.
Doughnut Day Shift: These volunteers will pick up the doughnuts, bring them to the pool, manage the table for the duration of the shift, and clean up.
Team Tent Manager: This volunteer will pick up the team tent from the Sundance pool (the day before), bring the tent to the meet, set it up, take it down at the end of the meet, bring it back to the Sundance pool, and put it away in the storage closet.
Overnight Chaperone: This volunteer (with another) must stay awake and be sober for the entire shift. This person must be visible inside the pool area during this shift and frequently patrol the pool area to ensure the safety of the children. This position is worth six points (the entire volunteer commitment for the season).
Overnight Sunday AM Shift: This volunteer picks up doughnuts and delivers them to the pool, cleans up the pool and cabana area, moves furniture to original locations, and makes sure bathrooms and the Sailfish Room are back in order.